The Best Popcorn You’ll Ever Eat!
Okay, so if you’re anything like us, you smash popcorn like Amy Schumer smashes, well popcorn on a Friday night.
As much as we try to tell ourselves that corn is a vegetable that and popcorn can be counted as part of our daily intake because it is high in fibre and low in calories (without all that butter sigh the best part!), anything THAT buttery and yellow that comes out of a prepacked microwave bag probably can’t be that good for you. Just saying.
So, in replacement of our store-bought microwave option to fulfil our Scandal-like wine and popcorn diet (how else does she keep that svelte figure?), we’ve got a super easy recipe that is perfectly healthy without all that butter. Hah! Who are we trying to kid, really.
This Simply Recipes guide to the perfect popcorn will have you showing off your culinary skills in no time…
Here’s what you’ll absolutely need:
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil (can be substituted for other oil)
- 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels
- A saucepan with a lid
Here’s a totally delicious and highly recommended topping:
- 1 tbsp. or more of butter
- Salt (and pepper) to taste
Serves: 1/3 cup popcorn equals approximately 10 cups of popped popcorn (1 regular microwave bag is equivalent to 4 cups).
AKA will either serve 1 popcorn binge-eater or make 2 to 3 daintier-first-date-style serves. No judgement.
- Heat the oil: Heat the oil in a deep, thick bottomed saucepan on medium-high heat. We find our Le Crueset works a treat. If you are using coconut oil make sure it’s entirely melted before you continue.
- Put 3 or 4 popcorn kernels into the oil. Wait for the popcorn kernels to pop. Remove the popped kernels.
- When the kernels pop it means you are ready to go. Add the rest of the 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels in an even layer.
- Cover the pot, remove from heat and count 30 seconds. This method first heats the oil to the right temperature, then by waiting 30-seconds brings the remaining kernels to a near-popping temperature so that when they are put back on the heat, they all pop at about the same time.
- Return the pan to the heat. The popcorn will begin to pop! Make sure that once you hear it starting you move the pan back and forth slightly over the heat for even coverage.
- Once the popping slows down, remove the pan from the heat. Remove the lid, and put the popcorn immediately into a wide bowl.
- For the optional but totally recommended topping, melt butter in the empty hot pan. The one you just finished using will work fine! When melted, add salt (and pepper) whilst mixing well.
- Drizzle the buttery-deliciousness over the popcorn, making sure to distribute evenly.
And voila, there you have it. Unburnt and evenly popped popcorn cooked like a pro.
Want one last tip? Pick the movie before you make the popcorn…because if you’re anything like us you’ll have demolished half the bowl before finally making the choice on Netflix!
Wine Pairing: This popcorn would pair perfectly with a glass (or bottle, no judgment!) of our W4YL Shiraz!